permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Future role of urban, local, and regional food systems]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Margaret & Steven Eisenhauer" <eisenhauerdesign@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Future role of urban, local, and regional food systems]
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 08:15:54 -0400

Hello,

Small scale agriculture is the base normal for many around the world and was
the normal throughout our history. Finer living always included the garden
as an element of the home and people have always appreciated the reality
that fresh is better. If a society values the symbols of wealth over wealth
itself - for example valuing gold and money over productive capacity and
markets then corruption and disassociation from the fundamentals supporting
life sets in. In our gulag this is know as "ignorance poverty and disease"
all of which are now our base normal. I believe the real question is - how
long can the aberration of industrial agriculture continue before it
collapses under the weight of its failure to deliver real health and wealth?
Armed with that information we will know how long we have to make the
transition to small scale local small business oriented food production that
reflects an evolving best practice.

A side note - abandoned strip malls will become oasis of food production
allowing season extension, job creation and community building. I can't
wait to bike over and pick bananas.

Eisenhauer Design