permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Future role of urban, local, and regional food systems]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kevin Topek <ktopek@att.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Future role of urban, local, and regional food systems]
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:06:18 -0500

Speaking for Houston, Texas, there is a lot of local urban vegetable production. A bit farther out from town there is a lot of animal husbandry and commercial amounts of vegetable production on small scales. We used to grow more rice by volume than anywhere in the world, but development has taken many of the local rice fields. I am seeing interest in developing growing systems for tall buildings, both on floor levels and also walls. I'm gonna take a stab at designing something for the wall concept later this year. In my opinion this shift has already begun and will get better with time.

Kevin Topek
www.permaculturedesign.net