permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Soil Injections via Keyline?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ben Falloon <benjamin@taranakifarm.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Soil Injections via Keyline?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 21:41:42 +1000

G'day Marisha and Lawrence,

I'm following an established method of brewing that produces an excellent diversity of soil microbes, so the goal is as you say Marisha, to "pump up the populations". I'm also looking for precision in this effort. I intend to verify the presence of the desired soil life under the microscope, leaving little to chance.

I simply love the notion of compost tea. Creating the right conditions during brewing for explosive population grow of the soil organisms we need. The marriage of Yeomans keyline cultivation and Ingham's inoculant compost tea is a match made in fertility heaven!

Then add a Salatin inspired relocalised cow and chicken husbandry duet to a Yeomans lock pipe gravity flood irrigation approach and there you have it - a total retrofit of your typical grass farm. An about face! Better soil, better nutrition, a renewed local economy. A reversal of all degrading effects in a 180 degree about turn towards building fertility year by year instead of seeing it drop steadily through ill conceived methods. It's the number of beneficial connections that counts.

The more aware I become of the intricacies of soil life, the more respect I develop for pasture soil (since this is my current area of focus). I believe it should be treated with the same reverence afforded the soil in an organic veggie patch. That's why I'm thrilled to get this system up and running. It is truly a means of 'farming like a gardener'. Of treating acres of land the way we might treat meters of garden.

I'll publish the brewing and trails over the next month or so. Then people have a reference if they want to do this themselves.

And thanks Lawrence for your interesting suggestions. I hadn't thought of rock dust!

Ben