permaculture - [permaculture] swales in Santa Barbara

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] swales in Santa Barbara
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 11:58:26 -0700 (PDT)

Art Ludwig of Oasis Design has done some swale work in your area and claims
they cut down his irrigation season by three weeks to a month and a half (I
can't remember, look at www.oasisdesign.net).  So, in our climate, they can
help, but they are not a panacea.  You can put in swales after the trees have
been planted, as you described, but be careful of removing too many of the
trees' roots.  It is probably more effective to fill the swales with compost
or other organic matter to hold the water in the soil as long as possible.
Also, obviously, the deeper the mulch around the trees, the better.  Light
shade trees, such as black locust or some acacia may save more water than
they consume, and increase yields and decrease frost.  You could try these
methods out on part of your land and observe the results.  Digging by hand is
best as you can observe the tree roots, learn about the soil, and avoid
fossil fuel use.  Make sure the swales are
absolutely level, unless you want to channel water to certain places.

Rain