permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lester Brown on how to feed the world/land ownership

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Read" <steveread@free.fr>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lester Brown on how to feed the world/land ownership
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:30:48 +0200

Small scale, "farmers shadow" is well documented as being a more efficient
scale for growing. Private property or not. In China education is compulsory
and not totally free, so "peasants" need augmented income to pay for this.
The future well may show that small scale private owned (which isn't really
the case in China, the land doesn't "belong" to the families) is also more
easily over-exploited to pay extraneous charges or to fulfill marketing led
dreams of modernity. Small scale collective responsability as with the
ancient "commons" system worked well enough and also had feedback loops to
restrain over-exploitation. Until that is, as in the case of my great, great,
grandfather, the common land he used was enclosed by act of parliament to an
aristocrat, and my ancestor, with family were forced to leave, he
subsequently died a few years later in a mining accident. Enclosure went hand
in hand with creating exploitable workers for the early industrial revolution.

On another note the great areas of deep loam of central europe, used as
collective farms by the USSR are now attracting many farmers from western
Europe, esp Brits, with their huge tractors and machines and their
extensive/chem-intensive agriculture, their contribution to world food is
unlikely to be negligible, until even these deep rich loams are detroyed.

Feeding the world has, most probably, a local and small-scale solution, apart
from that we have to see what sort of patterning we wish to place and leave
on this planet for our children (if one decides to have any), private
property and market ethics, debt and banking, or commonland and common
responsibility.

SteveR

  • Re: [permaculture] Lester Brown on how to feed the world/land ownership, Steve Read, 08/31/2009