permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the lessor of evils: fast food

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jacque Greenleaf <jacque@book-woman.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the lessor of evils: fast food
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 01:50:48 -0700

So .... anybody know if any of the burger joints are moving away
from CAFOs and toward grass fed? Or cutting way back on pesticides?
Any of the fast food joints doing anything honestly eco?
Google command to search archives:

Burgerville, a small chain of about 40 restaurants headquartered in Vancouver, WA

- buys wind power
- buys non-battery chickens and eggs from a portland farm
- offers sweet potato fries seasonally
- buys fresh local produce for smoothies, etc
- does better by their employees than other fast food places
- composts and recycles
- partners with local biodiesel producers

etc.

http://burgerville.com/sustainable-business/

If you *have* to eat fast food along I-5 in the Portland/ Vancouver area, this is the chain to look for.

Also, many offer free wifi.

I'm not a burger eater, but those smoothies and shakes are pretty darn good.

On your scale, I would put them at about a two, which would beat their competition by miles.