permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in development

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Darren Doherty <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in development
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:35:06 +0200

G'day, I have just finished a consult in Sri Lanka for World Vision
Australia/Lanka where they have a 7000 household Permaculture (labelled as
such) food security program underway across the country. This follows on
from a similar USDA sponsored World Vision-operated Integrated Ag program
that has worked with a similar number of households (rural that is) across
the country. My brief was basically to develop a Climate Change strategy
through the extension and expansion of these programs along with an
assessment of the current efficacy (and resilience) of the onground effects
and how well the local extensionalists are doing their jobs. There are quite
a few efforts around the traps where colleagues (and others) are doing this
kind of work, perhaps not under the banner or label of Permaculture....just
getting on with the job of getting people to take care of their own
needs.... All the best, Darren Doherty

2009/7/16 christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>

> Hi Chris,
>
> We have done four annual PDCs in Belize, and try to have a good mix of
> local and international students. We have received funding for
> training local students from Protected Area Conservation Trust.
>
> We have trained seven extension officers from Belize's Ministry of
> Agriculture, six farmers and twelve extension officers from local and
> international NGOs and local producer groups. This has yet to
> materialize into a policy change in agriculture, but it has been
> thought provoking.
>
> This year we had students from Trinidad and Mexico attend the PDC,
> local students from the district, and students from US, UK and Canada.
> It was a very good course. Following that we had a group of 15 farmers
> from neighboring Guatemala, and they are coming back for a two week
> internship, which will focus on permaculture practices, which really
> do apply well to subsistence farmers in the lowland humid tropics.
>
> We also got funding from UNDP this year for a course on photovoltaic
> design and installation.
>
> I see permaculture gaining ground, especially if we can promote it on
> more scientific levels, with sound reasoning, atoms, molecules, cause
> and effect, quantifiable tangibles, pointing to the increased
> efficiency and fostering of food security, and less of the purple
> breathing cultural acquisition (or interpretation and projections) of
> paradigms and cosmology of indigenous people that indigenous people
> themselves often do not have, which has marginalized permaculture in
> development circles as being "hippy farming".
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Christopher
>

> On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:48 AM, Chris Wardle wrote:
>
> > I'm conscious that there are a lot of good local NGOs incorporating
> > permaculture into their activities and the existence of education
> > programmes
> > in relation to this topic.
> > However, I was wondering if list members point me to any evidence of
> > permaculture being taken up and implemented by INGOs, UN agencies,
> > or at a
> > policy level by Governments and line ministries?
> > Thanks in anticipation,
> > Chris Wardle.
> > ===========
> > skype: cjwardle
> > mobile: +92 333 784 1679
> > Google command to search archives:
> > site:https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture searchstring
> >

> _____________________________
> Christopher Nesbitt
>
> Maya Mountain Research Farm
> San Pedro Columbia, Toledo
> PO 153 Punta Gorda Town, Toledo
> BELIZE,
> Central America
>
> www.mmrfbz.org

> Google command to search archives:

Hooroo,
Darren J. Doherty

News 2009!

3-43 day Carbon Farming Courses, NZ, California, Ibiza, New Mexico, Mexico,
Tennessee, February-December 2009
Stacked Modules on: Holistic Management, Soil Food Web, Broadacre
Permaculture, ZERI, Fungi, BioChar, Energy Systems, Natural Building &
Pathways to Relocalisation
with Terry Gompert (HMCE), Kirk Gadzia (HMCE), Abe Collins, Dr. Elaine
Ingham, Paul Taylor, Darren Doherty, Brock Dolman, Brad Lancaster, Penny
Livingston-Stark, Paul Stamets (TBC), Howard Yana-Shapiro, Michael G. Smith,
Warren Brush, Joel & Daniel Salatin.

Permaculture Design Certificate Courses - NZ, Mallorca, California, South
Dakota, Ohio, February-October 2009
with Darren Doherty, Penny Livingston-Stark, Robyn Francis, Warren Brush

International Remote & On-site Broadacre Permaculture Design
Cost-effective GIS/CAD-based Land Development Plans & Design Treatments just
about anywhere....
AUSTRALIA FELIX PERMACULTURE
Broadacre Permaculture Design & Development
International Certified Permaculture Education

Web: http://www.permaculture.biz
PhotoLog: http://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz
Blog: http://www.australiafelixpermaculture.blogspot.com/

+61 (3) 9010 6220