permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in development

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in development
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:17:28 -0600

Hi Chris,

We have done four annual PDCs in Belize, and try to have a good mix of local and international students. We have received funding for training local students from Protected Area Conservation Trust.

We have trained seven extension officers from Belize's Ministry of Agriculture, six farmers and twelve extension officers from local and international NGOs and local producer groups. This has yet to materialize into a policy change in agriculture, but it has been thought provoking.

This year we had students from Trinidad and Mexico attend the PDC, local students from the district, and students from US, UK and Canada. It was a very good course. Following that we had a group of 15 farmers from neighboring Guatemala, and they are coming back for a two week internship, which will focus on permaculture practices, which really do apply well to subsistence farmers in the lowland humid tropics.

We also got funding from UNDP this year for a course on photovoltaic design and installation.

I see permaculture gaining ground, especially if we can promote it on more scientific levels, with sound reasoning, atoms, molecules, cause and effect, quantifiable tangibles, pointing to the increased efficiency and fostering of food security, and less of the purple breathing cultural acquisition (or interpretation and projections) of paradigms and cosmology of indigenous people that indigenous people themselves often do not have, which has marginalized permaculture in development circles as being "hippy farming".

Best wishes,

Christopher