permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Moldy Compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Moldy Compost
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 21:55:52 -0500

It's kind of hard to diagnose compost issues from "afar". Also, I have zero experience composting in a container. Without being able to see, feel, or smell your composting process. . . I'll say that in my piles and sheet composting, I try to maintain an equal ratio of "brown and dry" to "wet and green", the latter could also include "moldy". The moldy food will make fine soil, but it needs some other stuff like shredded dried leaves, shredded paper, cardboard, etc. I generally feel that the more diverse the stuff going into the pile, the better the end result compost.

Robert Waldrop, Okc
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ella Rozin" <ellarozin@gmail.com>
Hey Robert,

Thanks for getting back to me... My concern isnt little critters.. its the
quality of compost... will moldy compost make for good soil? Should I add
anything to it?