permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Moldy Compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Moldy Compost
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 20:02:29 -0500

I read a lot of warnings about letting critters get into your compost, but my experience is that critters are beneficial. I compost in piles and sheets, rather than enclosed composters, so maybe this is an issue with enclosed situations.

In my situation, I figure that sharing the surplus includes not getting worried about critters in my compost. I nearly always run into some voles when I am moving my compost. And the other morning I was up a bit early and headed out the back door and surprised a mother possum and three of her children rustling around in the compost. They made a bee-line for their hideout while I held onto the dog who wanted to play. On balance, critters stir things up a bit, leave behind their own body wastes, so i figure there's enough for everybody.

Robert Waldrop, OKC
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>