permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Why is permaculture more about selling books, DVDs and training courses?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jim Powell (Madison Environmental Justice Organization)" <jimpowell@mejo.us>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Why is permaculture more about selling books, DVDs and training courses?
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:48:28 -0500

As a permaculture novice, but as a quite experienced community organizer, radical Green, world changer (tongue-in-cheek since I haven't done it yet), money hater, happy gardener, former sustainability adherent (back to 1995 even) and recovered co-houser, I have found this list and the pemaculturists I have met very helpful.

We all can learn the most from nature and perhaps loved ones around us who poke and probe around the land and connect with it. This permaculture list is merely a window into things that we can benefit from. If there's something on the list that you don't like, go ahead and express your views but why invest so much of yourself in a crusade? Everyone is trying to make their time on this planet something they can be proud of, and if someone gets excited about permaculture AND they have some small ability to make some money connected to it, I say "power to them!". I mean, how do you make your living? If you're like me or everyone Ive ever met, it's a bit of a compromise. (I'm not really asking; this is rhetorical.). The permaculturists I've met quite a bit more than they ever get paid for.

Anyone who goes in and out of using the Internet (people like me) always have the opportunity to learn something (either good or bad) or leave if we want to. Seriously, with a book or two, a person or two to learn from, and time out listening to the Earth, we can all get to where we want to. Don't worry about the state of "permaculture"; the Internet is NOT part of the "Solution"--actual human, animal, plant and Earth experience is.

Take care.
JIM POWELL

--

JIM POWELL
Madison Environmental Justice Organization

www.mejo.us

/</º((((><·./Only dead fish go with the flow/.·/</º((((><//

/Laws change; people die; the land remains./

*please consider the environment before printing this email*