permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Why is permaculture more about selling books, DVDs and training courses?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jocelyn Campbell <jocecampbell@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Why is permaculture more about selling books, DVDs and training courses?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:07:07 -0700

Others have replied more eloquently before I could send this off--great
discussion!--but I'm sending my simple thoughts any way.

Suraj Kumar wrote:
> I get the feeling that the permaculture movement has morphed into a
> market place to sell books, DVDs and training courses related to
> permaculture <snip!>
> I remember some noble soul here who had setup permaculture.info - that
> is great! WTG!

I'm a newbie to permaculture (and a n00b, too, I guess!), but isn't part of
it the complexity of permaculture that makes it difficult to share
information?
On Paul's permies.com, sometimes folks ask about where to start, or what to
put in a certain plant guild, and it's incredibly difficult to define that
for someone else. Probably best not to.

The upside of the commercial aspect of permaculture is that the books, DVDs
and more and more courses mean the info is getting out there to more people.
And possibly that more people can make a living through permaculture. These
are good things, aren't they?

It's not like sharing information on how to bake gluten free. There is a
finite list of GF flours (maybe a dozen or two), and a handful of tricks on
how to get them to work satisfactorily, but it's pretty simple and there's
lots of free information out there. Permaculture is like trying to teach
someone to bake GF with hundreds or even thousands of flours (flowers, ha!),
hundreds of methods to get them to work together better, not to mention how
the gazillions of kitchen micro-climates might affect the baking. How do you
share that without a class, a course, a book or a DVD, or loooong
discussions either in person or through web forums?

Just my initial impression as a fascinated newbie.

Peace,

Jocelyn

--
Eco Events | QuickBooks | Accounting | 206.779.3707
Cascadia Eco Workshops Calendar <http://www.jocelynsevents.com> |

~~please think twice before printing this or any e-mail~~