permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Why is permaculture more about selling books, DVDs and training courses?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Why is permaculture more about selling books, DVDs and training courses?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:55:41 -0500

This is exactly the reason we stopped doing design courses & focussed
instead on setting up a demonstration & intern program. We found the
majority of folks in our circle could never afford to buy a copy of the
Permaculture big book or a lot of the other books for that matter, let alone
have the resources to attend a design course. Yes there are such things as
work exchange etc in order to go to a course, but you can't put on a course
with top-notch talent & make the financials work if everyone is doing a work
exchange.

Our efforts have gone into networking, setting up a nursery to spread free
or very cheap plant material locally & integrating permaculture into the
very active & vital organic farming scene that we have here in the driftless
bioregion, tho a lot of organic farmers are really a hard sell because they
are still operating by very old outdated paradigms.

~mIEKAL