permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cross-pollination compatibility of a self-fertilized seedling?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cross-pollination compatibility of a self-fertilized seedling?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 01:00:52 -0400

I have encountered descriptions of peach cultivars as being the offspring of a self-fertlized parent. Presumably the offspring was different or there would have been no point to it.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

Norris Thomlinson wrote:
Does anyone know whether a seedling of a self-fertilized plant will
generate a plant genetically different enough to give the benefits of
cross-pollination?

Specifically, I have a mature "Sweet Scarlet" goumi (Elaeagnus
multiflora) which is very well self-fertile, but is supposed to do
better with a partner for pollination. I started three seedlings from
saved seed, with surprisingly low germination rate compared to the
Autumn Olives I started--are the self-pollinated seeds less viable?

If I plant one of the seedlings, will it improve the fruit-set of the
original mother plant?

Thanks for any information anyone can share!

Norris Thomlinson