permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cross-pollination compatibility of a self-fertilized seedling?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Adrienne Juergens <adrienne.marissa@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cross-pollination compatibility of a self-fertilized seedling?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:58:45 -0400

Hi Norris,
I thought it might be worthwhile mentioning that Autumn Olive is a
very invasive species and can take over an area fairly quickly (since
the birds love to poop out the seeds), and eventually crowds out
native plants. I don't know the plans you have for it, but I've tried
without much luck in chopping it back as it comes back quite
vigorously. If you want to check out native alternatives, there is a
great website called: www.wildflower.org

These are some native alternatives to Autumn Olive from that webstie:
Baccharis halimifolia (eastern baccharis)
Baccharis neglecta (Rooseveltweed)
Carpinus caroliniana (American hornbeam)
Hamamelis virginiana (American witchhazel)
Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)
Shepherdia canadensis (russet buffaloberry)
Styrax americanus (American snowbell)
I don't know if they would work for cross-pollinations with your
other Elaeagnus, but maybe it's something to consider.
But that site, www.wildflower.org is a GREAT resource for info on
native plants, their requirements, their uses, ability to attract
wildlife/birds, etc.
I hope that helps,
Adrienne Juergens