permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Hedge ideas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul d'Aoust <paul@heliosville.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Hedge ideas
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 22:56:44 -0700

Wolfberry (Lycium barbarum), AKA 'goji', is pretty edible -- it's one of
the newest wonder-food nutraceutical thingies that people are obsessing
rather unholistically over. I like the flavour, although I think it's
more suited to salads than to desserts. It's got a pleasantly sweet
flavour, somewhat bland, with a faint aftertaste of school glue, sort of
like a tamarillo (tree tomato).

I believe it's fairly resilient to heavy soil, although it does prefer
well-draining soil. It's not a huge fan of soggy soil, so if there are
any damp patches it'd probably be good to plant it elsewhere. It'll also
tolerate fairly poor soils and droughty conditions (although the best
berries come from fertile soil).

It suckers rather eagerly, so it should fill out by itself within a few
years. I don't know how dense it gets -- the ones I got my suckers from
were kinda straggly, but this photo suggests that it might be thick
enough:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arjuna/2527981708/

Hope that helps!
Paul d'Aoust