permaculture - [permaculture] mulching out thistle

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] mulching out thistle
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:43:40 -0700 (PDT)

I have had good experience sheet mulching out thistle with just big pieces of
cardboard.  The bigger the pieces of cardboard, the better, and make sure
they are overlapped plenty, at least a foot.  Thistle seeds will continue to
germinate, but even one treatment makes a big difference.  Pull or cut
remaining thistle before the flowers open.

Milk thistle might just push through the cardboard, but most other species
probably won't.

Despite what I have heard by some permaculturists, the thistle around here
mostly grows in areas with a higher level of organic matter.  The more
organic matter, the more thistle, so the only way to keep the thistle out is
by preventing flowering and introducing competitors.  However, there must be
some variation among species.  Star thistle grows pretty much everywhere,
here, and is extremely drought-tolerant.  All thistle species benefit from
soil disturbance, however, so keeping soil covered during the season of seed
dispersal is essential.  In my area, wild pigs are responsible for opening
areas up for thistle and other weeds.

Rain