permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Mulching Out Thistle

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tiffany Cory Pope <disgruntled_mole@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Mulching Out Thistle
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:42:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there!

I've read that if you cut the thistle just after it blooms it won't have the
energy grow back.  (No personal experience with this; my husband took a
shovel and uprooted the only poor thistle in our meadow last year.  Lost out
on pretty thistle blooms, but it worked...)  Thistle in our area (NWPA)
always seems to defy mulching efforts, though we might not do it right.

Hope this isn't old news.  Good luck!
Tiff