permaculture - Re: [permaculture] food forest

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] food forest
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 20:10:32 -0500

Hmmm...I didn't know there was a different species of honey locust with small pods. They're not black locust, are they?? Ours down here have large pods...16-18 inches long. I picked up over 20 feedbags full and have been feeding them to my dairy cow all winter. I don't know if they would graft. NM ones wouldn't be acclimated to MO. Too bad they are male or female trees, or I'd dig up a few (dozen) seedlings and send them to you! They come up all over...esp after feeding the pods to the cow. I didn't think I'd increase the problem too much because apparently the deer and turkey spread them everywhere...cows or no cows.

You asked what trees I am using for food....you mean in my forest garden? I am building it around 7 large black walnut trees in the yard. That limits me somewhat, but not very much. I have elderberries, serviceberry, chestnut, witch hazel, black raspberry, and gooseberries under the black walnuts, so far. It's slow going because I have to get rid of bermuda grass before I plant. And it's everywhere.

You must be about one zone colder than here. We generally don't get that cold in the winter, but the summers are about the same, altho usually it's very dry here/

Good luck and keep us posted with your work! Lisa, in the MO Ozarks

----- Original Message ----- From: "negiliblek" <negiliblek@yahoo.com>