permaculture - [permaculture] food forest

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] food forest
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:52:30 -0700 (PDT)

For clarity with regards to the micro-climate and ground type I will work
with this April:
MO - clay, winter, (Oct-March): below 0 F; summer: humid not above 100 F
often, dense natural foilage
NM - rocky clay, 6,800-8,500ft above sea level, winter (Oct-April):2ft or
more snow below 0 F; summer:dry 80-90's F with Aug-July Monsoons, Sparse
natural foilage
IA -rich topsoil layer, winter (Oct-March): well below 0 F, summer:humid
80-90's, dense natural foilage

yarrow@sfo.com -thanks for the clarifications.

Lisa Rollens -near Maysville (not really central MO) ...the species of honey
locust that already grows there produces very small (and flat) beans where as
the species planted in Gallup, NM produce beans about 1/4" thick. I wonder if
I could take a few small twigs from the locust trees in Gallup and graft them
onto the full grown locust trees in MO somehow? How large are the beans
produced by your trees?  What trees are you using for food?

Larry -thanks for your opinions and the facts/pics!