permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Turning Your Lawn into a Victory Garden Won't Save You -- Fighting the Corporations Will

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Turning Your Lawn into a Victory Garden Won't Save You -- Fighting the Corporations Will
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:47:20 -0400

In my humble opinion the person who wrote this article doesn't know what he
is talking about. He certainly hasn't been exposed to Permaculture. We can
use permaculture design to grow our food more intelligently.

First of all, any food that you grow yourself hasn't been shipped and that is
a good thing.? And nobody said that you only can grow fruit and vegetables at
home, as the article implied.? We have a third of an acre with currently 88
trees, soon to be 100. We have a lot fruit some nuts and avocados.? We are
starting to grow perennial beans as vines up the trees to up the protein
coming from the land.? Home growers can incorporate chickens and other small
animals into the landscape, except where outmoded codes don't permit it.?

Also we need a partnership between home growers and small local organic
farmers. What we don't, or can't grow ourselves should be supplemented by
those farmers rather that supermarket food grown by factory farmers.

Grain can be grown in much smaller scale operations either at home or by
local organic farms.? And we simply don't need to be growing the vast amount
of corn and soy we grow for the purpose of feeding it to animals who
shouldn't be on such a diet in the first place.? Local organic?farmers and
ranchers can supplement the eggs and meat in our diet rather than
conventional meat feed an unhealthy diet of grain and corn which tortures the
animals and is unhealthy for us.? It is possible to do small scale fish
production at home and we should also encourage and invest in people who want
to start small commercial fish farms done in an organic and sustainable way.

In Santa Barbara, where I live, there are active community groups having get
togethers where produce, seeds and plants are exchanged. That means that
growing food is part of building local community.?It is all part of getting
people off of a consumerist lifestyle and?re-connecting them with nature and
community. That should have corporations shaking?in their boots.???I think
that growing food in your garden is one of the most radical things you can
do.?

Larry Saltzman