permaculture - [permaculture] Turning Your Lawn into a Victory Garden Won't Save You -- Fighting the Corporations Will

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Chris Burley" <chris@myfarmsf.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: loveidovei@gmail.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Turning Your Lawn into a Victory Garden Won't Save You -- Fighting the Corporations Will
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:16:21 -0700

Good Morning, Day, Evening all, I am new to this list and hope to get to
know each one of you over the coming months and years.

I am currently leading an organization based in San Francisco which is
creating a decentralized urban farm. We grow vegetables in backyard gardens
throughout the city. By increasing local food production we are creating a
secure and sustainable food system. Using permaculture and organic practices
we strive to grow the best tasting most nutritious vegetables while
restoring the live and diversity of the land.

Today, I read an article that concerned me and brought about greater
challenges and opportunities to mind. I am not naive enough to believe our
organization was going to alter the current industrial agricultural
landscape, however I am eager to address systemic challenges with systemic
solutions.

The article is posted here -
http://www.alternet.org/story/86943/turning_your_lawn_into_a_victory_garden_won%27t_save_you_--_fighting_the_corporations_will/?comments=view&cID=938243&pID=938211#c938243

I ask each one of you, what role does the individual play in the collective
well being of our society, our nation, our world? Is planting a garden
enough? What actions are each one of you taking to transform the current
system into a regenerative food production system?

A million and one thanks,
Chris Burley
Director of Operations and Organizational Development of MyFarm
http://www.myfarmsf.com/