permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Passionflower

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Passionflower
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 08:43:32 -0400

We haven't mentioned the medicinal uses of passionflower: it is a gentle
calming herb. It contains a mild MAO inhibitor, so it may interact with
psychiatric medications.

I'm growing a hybrid between the North American *P. Incarnata* and *P.* *
cinnicata*. This is a fairly common ornamental hybrid.
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/passiflora_incense.htm

The plant doesn't seem to mind the heat of the full sun in Central NC,
although I have more clay in my soil than it sounds like Michael has. The
flowers are wonderful, I've used the leaves and flowers to make a gently
sedative tea. The fruits are the size of a small lemon and very acidic.
I've only harvested about a dozen fruits from a seven foot vine, but this is
more productive and better tasting fruit than the native *P Incarnata.*

In temperate climates, I would recommend passionflowers for beauty and
medicine, fruit is a secondary benefit.