permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Sites- Always best to call first

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Sites- Always best to call first
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 12:03:02 -0600

Just to add my 2cents.
We had open house yesterday and received 40 people at $10.00 a head for five
hours of touring gardens, wetland, natural built house, goats, chickens, and
etc. We do this twice a year in late spring and autumn. These are the best
times for us to "show off" our place. In years past we tried to accommodate
drop-ins and wound up without a life. We couldn't get anything done and our
life was constantly disrupted. We also found we couldn't charge enough to
make it worth while nor did it discourage insistent passers through.

Now we can prepare and set aside time to accommodate people and it winds up
being a community builder with many repeat visitors. It is pot luck and is
limited to 40 people each year with RSVP required to participate. We get
volunteers to help us set up and direct people to parking spots.

We don't consider this a demonstration site for the public except two days a
year the rest of the time it is for teaching, and trying out different
approaches to pc practices to improve our success on the land and in our
community.

Scott Pittman
Director
Permaculture Institute