permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Sites- Always best to call first

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jim <ashevillecurrencyproject@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Sites- Always best to call first
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 13:44:02 -0400

Hi-
I'd like to echo what Toby said about calling first, and add checking the website of
any permaculture site first.

Both Ashevillage Institute and Earthaven explicitly discourage drop-ins.
While both places ARE partially demonstration sites, it just doesn't work for their lives to have drop ins.

Good news is this, there are two Open House tours of folks who want to show off their stuff in the greater Asheville, NC area this month.

http://asapconnections.org/special/2008/MFT.htm
13th Annual Mountain Farm & Garden Tour
* Saturday & Sunday*
* June 28 & 29, 2008*
* 1 PM – 6 PM*
$25 per car to visit all farms
$10 per car to visit an individual farm

The other is a first-time effort this is starting out unpublicized.
Email me off list for more info

-- Jim
smithmillcreek.blogspot.com
Jody Troupe wrote:
> And, just a heads' up on visiting some of the places, at least in our > experience. It would be worth calling ahead so they know you're > coming. We showed up at the Bullocks on Orcas Island 3 years ago in > early June, unannounced, and found no one there except 2 interns.

Sage advice, Jody, and the polite thing to do. I've had folks from OAEC, RDI, and the Bullocks' rant at me about people showing up unannounced, expecting a tour. It's their home! It happens often enough to piss them off. Call ahead and see if it fits into their schedule, offer a donation or to work for them in exchange, and be sensitive to their needs. These busy folks are doing important work, and the world loses when they are pulled away from it.

Toby