permaculture - [permaculture] Einstein: Religion is "childish, " "primitive" - Boing Boing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Einstein: Religion is "childish, " "primitive" - Boing Boing
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 23:13:07 -0400

Stephen Hawking has said that religion is for people who are afraid of the
dark.

<http://www.boingboing.net/2008/05/13/einstein-religion-is.html>
Boing Boing - A directory of wonderful things
Einstein: Religion is "childish," "primitive"
Posted by Cory Doctorow, May 13, 2008 7:56 PM | permalink
A newly published letter reveals that Albert Einstein viewed religion and religious works as "childish," and "primitive works."

In the letter, dated January 3 1954, he wrote: "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this..."

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people."

  • [permaculture] Einstein: Religion is "childish, " "primitive" - Boing Boing, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 05/13/2008