permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Straight Veggie Oil w/o conversion?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Harmon Seaver <hseaver@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Straight Veggie Oil w/o conversion?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:36:00 -0500

Chris Anderson wrote:
> Howdy, all. Has anyone had experience with an additive for Straight Veggie
> Oil that requires no conversion for diesel engines? Scanned their website
> and it looks like a winner to me. I'd appreciate any feedback.
> http://www.dieselsecret.com/index.html

That won't work -- you have to either heat the SVO or make biodiesel
out of it. There are also some special injectors you can buy that will
work with the SVO unheated, but you still will have major problems in
cold temps. Even biodiesel has problems in really cold weather.
Plus, burning SVO in your diesel gives much, much worse air pollution
than running regular fossil diesel. Biodiesel is cleaner burning than
fossil diesel, but SVO is extremely polluting.
Ethanol is the least polluting of all the liquid fuels, and easy to
make yourself. It also can be used in diesels with the addition of 1%-2%
biodiesel to give it enough lubricant to protect the injection pump.

--
Harmon Seaver