permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Are there risks involved with the consumption of honey imported from South American and other regions of the World?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Are there risks involved with the consumption of honey imported from South American and other regions of the World?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:43:01 -0500

I think that the worst thing about grocery store honey is that it is
pasteurized. Heat treatment kills the enzymes that give honey its medicinal
properties.

Lawrence, I got the idea somewhere that you were in Chapel Hill. I got a
gallon of honey at the Raleigh farmer's market for a far better price than
the smaller packages at the grocery store, and I've had it over a year and
it hasn't crystallized. In the Southeast US, honey raised mainly on
gallberries or blueberries should be pretty safe- those plants don't have
pest problems that "need" pesticides.

Since honey is a product that is naturally preserved, and its less expensive
and better quality at the farmer's market, I think this is clearly a case to
buy local.