permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Are there risks involved with the consumption of honey imported from South American and other regions of the World?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@comcast.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Are there risks involved with the consumption of honey imported from South American and other regions of the World?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:02:36 -0600

Lawrence,

It is always best to consume local honey. The local pollens in the honey
help prevent allergic reactions to local blooming species. It helps local
beekeepers stay in business. It encourages the keeping of bees locally. I
just returned from Argentina and did not notice more pesticide or herbicide
use than in other developed agricultural nations. In fact I really miss the
high quality dairy products. Argentina produces a lot of wheat, zapote
squash and tomatoes, the 3 largest commodities. Only tomatoes are usually
treated and a lot of those were grown in greenhouses. I am sure the honey
you are eating is fine, it is just not local!

Kevin Topek, amateur apiculturist