permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Similarities between the Jesus Movement atitsorigin and the

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David <david@h4c.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Similarities between the Jesus Movement atitsorigin and the
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:09:53 -0800

Friends,

Healing Hawk wrote:
Protestantism wasn't just about the Inquisition. It was about that "only
way to God" fundamentalism thing that a lot of churches still preach today.
Accessing God does not seem to require religion at all. Only the ability to
pay attention is required, it seems to me.
Protestantism (for the most part) started in Germany in the mid 1500's by Luther, following his analysis of various abuses (as he saw them) being practiced by the Catholic Church. Among these was the selling of "indulgences", which were in effect a way of buying the forgiveness of the Church and therefore avoiding purgatory. As far as I know-- which is admittedly not much-- Luther agreed with the Pope of his time that Christ was the only way to God, based on their interpretation of the same passages in the Bible which folks quote today if they are inclined to support this thought (for example John 14:5). (For my part, I think Christ was speaking as the voice of the Eternal, and that indeed, all humans, regardless of label or location, have the requisite equipment to pay attention, and hear that voice)

d.

--
David William House

"The Complete Biogas Handbook" www.completebiogas.com

"No matter how far the material world advances, it cannot establish the happiness of mankind. Only when material and spiritual civilization are linked and coordinated will happiness be assured. Then material civilization will not contribute its energies to the forces of evil in destroying the oneness of humanity, for in material civilization good and evil advance together and maintain the same pace."
'Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 109

http://bahai.us