permaculture - [permaculture] olives: the problem is the solution

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] olives: the problem is the solution
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:10:28 -0800 (PST)

Norak, I can't put aside the thought that your exuberant weedy growth could
be put to good use. Cutting it back on a regular basis (use a brush scythe)
would build the soil, which, as Jean Pain suggests, could reduce the danger
of fire over the long-term, not too mention hold more water and nutrients
through the addition of all that organic matter.

A more conventional approach, which I cannot practice myself due to all the
ethical problems of keeping large domesticated mammals, would be to carefully
rotate goats through the olives just enough to keep the vegetation in check.
This could produce meat and milk, as well. Though you would probably lose a
fair amount of nitrogen this way, from leaching during the beginning of the
rainy season, the increased rate of vegetation growth (due to quicker
nutrient cycling) during the Winter could balance this out, as long as enough
of the vegetation is nitrogen-fixing.

Good luck,

Rain

  • [permaculture] olives: the problem is the solution, Rain Tenaqiya, 12/13/2007