permaculture - Re: [permaculture] mediterranean orchards, terracing and fire protection

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "ossi" <ossi@kulma.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: filiztelek@yahoo.com, seed4peace@yahoo.com, sarahwhiteley.hara@virgin.net
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] mediterranean orchards, terracing and fire protection
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:32:33 +0200 (EET)

Hi Nora (et al.),

This is just for a historical perspective on fire protection as I don't
live in mediterranian, but memories from my childhood envision the common
dry and dusty landscapes among the beautiful mountains at archipelago of
greece.

Jean and Ida Pain started their studies for prevention of mediterranian
forestfires during the 1960's in southern France with a conclusion that
the main reason for drought and fires was depleted carbon bank of the soil
due to long history of cultural practices of human civilizations.

They published a book "Another kind of garden" describing the value of
chipped branch wood composts (from which they also produced biogas) in
regeneration of healthy topsoil and eventually the forest itself.
Photocopies of this book in english are available from Comite Jean Pain
(see message below.) ...

Their methods rely on heavy machinery for processing the ramial wood (less
than 8 cm in diameter) carefully thinned from the undergrowth of the
mediterranian forests. However, the original european practice for
creation of "living humus or humus vivante" was based on composting
branches less than 8 mm in diameter as they do not need to be chipped at
all.

Peace & pace :)

Ossi Kakko
Katajamaki Community,
Finland

PS. More recently such methods have been studied by Gilles Lemieux (RCW,
The Hidden world that feeds us: the living soil) and Paul Stamets
(Mycelium running), but they are not mediterranian...

"The lesson of history is as clear as sunny day on the Mediterranian,
around those shores the wreckage of so many Civilizations lie."

- Topsoil and Civilization by Vernon Gill Carter and Tom Dale.

From: Comité Jean Pain <comite.jean.pain@skynet.be>

Hello,

You also can buy a copie of the book "Another kind of garden" written by
Jean Pain, about his methods. You enclose 15 euros in an envelop (to avoid
high bankcosts), mentioning your name and address.As soon as we receive
your letter, we will send a photocopy of the book.

Yours truly,

Kristien Matthieu