permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A Golden Opportunity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "ossi" <ossi@kulma.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A Golden Opportunity
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:35:49 +0200 (EET)

Ho,

Usual recommendation for urine dilution in Finland is 10 parts of water
and 1 part of urine as it is with liquid extracts from comfrey and nettle.

However - as I have managed urine separating dry toilets in our community
for 4 years now and we occasionally have weekends with 150 visitors - I
have noticed a huge difference in the characteristics of urine from
different people with different diets and water consumption patterns.

Chronically dehydrated people or those with high protein and fat diet seem
to have usually very strong urine, which is surely toxic for plants
without dilution. This seems not to be the case among people with diets
low on fat and without excessive protein intake, who consume sufficient
amounts of water. They usually have quite clear urine which often doesn't
smell bad even if aged. I think their urine is (at least in some extent)
diluted in the body and the case is even more clear among the people who
are fasting.

Any other such observations ?

Ossi Kakko
Katajamaki Community,