permaculture - [permaculture] what is "politics" exactly...?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kevin s <k.skvorak@verizon.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] what is "politics" exactly...?
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 18:27:52 -0500

So, i am wondering if folks involved in Permaculture design work can agree on a definition of "politics"?

and have any comments on what a Permaculture informed Politics might actually look like?

here is one simple definition of "politics":

"Politics is he activity through which people make, preserve and amend the general rules under which they live"

or:

"Politics is the process by which the community makes decisions and establishes values that are binding upon its members."

so, instead of a critique of existing systems, (which these conversations often become) what does a permaculture informed "politics" look like? how do we manifest it in our local communities? how do we manifest it in relationship with other Permaculturalists?

I actually appreciated Scott Pittmans efforts in the past thread, and wonder he might have some thoughts about this?

I am very interested in creating structures that meet peoples needs for security, shared resources, community etc, and am always struggling with what the right "political system" is for practical on the ground community efforts, and how the implementation of these systems relates positively or negatively to their sustainability.

thanks,
kevin