permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Drinking Water

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Drinking Water
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 15:22:22 +1100

Hi - thought this might be useful for you...

Simple and effective Water filter ­
mix coffee grounds with clay to make filter containers and fire in dried cow
dung (Cow dung burns at 950 deg C)
The coffee grounds burn off during firing leaving sufficient cavities for
water flow-through and enough clay to filter out bacteria.
94.5-99.6% ecoli are removed with clay-coffee filter, but it doesn¹t filter
out viruses.

Charcoal is also an effective water filter for drinking water and charcoal
is relatively easy to make with stick wood and woody weeds.