permaculture - [permaculture] relocating voles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] relocating voles
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:19:12 -0700 (PDT)

As evidence of what Toby said about relocating rodents, I have a personal
story to share. When I first moved to my homesite two years ago, I had a
very rough spiritual and emotional time trying to deal with mice and voles
that were eating my house and food plants. I had trapped gophers before, but
I had never dealt with such high numbers of rodent competitors. The first
time I caught a vole pair (in killing traps), I discovered that they had cute
little babies (voles are basically just hamsters), which were wandering
around looking for mommy and daddy. I caught them with my hands and put them
in a jar for safe relocation. I took them to a spot with lots of vole
tunnels that I thought they would enjoy. I knew that the existing voles
might not like the newcomers, but I was optimistic that they might adopt the
little guys. As soon as I put them out, the babies started squeaking and
wandering around, resulting in an eerie response from tons of invisible
voles, all around
me. I watched to see what would happen. An adult vole came searching for
the babies, found one, bit it, and left it bleeding. I think the same
happened to at least one more. They would have been better off if I had just
dropped them in a bucket of water. I don't know how the existing voles would
have responded to an adult.

Rain

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who
knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

  • [permaculture] relocating voles, Rain Tenaqiya, 09/17/2007