permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Greywater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L. Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Greywater
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:41:59 -0700

Paul et al,

I put the plants where they want to go, with an eye to growth habits and aesthetic appeal, of course...

And certainly a greywater wetland can be safe to grow plants in- as long as you know and can control what is going down your drain ( biodegradeable soaps and organic nutrients from our kitchen sink, in this case).

I am pleased to grow the most flavorful celery that I have ever tasted...

Kathryn Santoyo

On Tue, 2007-24-07 at 15:13 -0700, L. Santoyo Designs wrote:
If you come up to the Ranch sometime -you can see our tiny wetland
> system with taro, ginger, celery and water chestnuts etc...

Hi, Larry. This description of your greywater wetlands has piqued my
interest, because I never gave much thought to growing edibles in there
(frankly, I didn't know it was safe). Do you have to put the edibles
downstream of the heavyweight filter plants like cattails, or do you
just put them anywhere you please?

Paul d'Aoust