permaculture - [permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kevin s <k.skvorak@verizon.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:44:34 -0400

Hi folks,

I am wondering about the ongoing issues of certification standards, professionalization, protocols, etc., and have a simple question that i hope that those folks out there that have strong opinions will respond seriously to.

Scott, do you have any comments about this?:

Are there not possible democratic solutions that resolve these open questions, and do so in a way that does not further divide us all, or place people in turf battles, or cause any of the other internal problems that seem to plague the 'movement'?

For instance, why cannot a US national (apologies for those fortunate enough to reside outside of the evil empire) membership organization deal with these issues?

It is simple enough to set up a 5013c as a membership organization, and then this organization can collect dues from every PDC grad that wants to be involved, and then these members will direct the organization thru an elected board- just like virtually every other membership organization in the country.

If there is a needs for some written standards or another, the board of directors can empower a working group of members to draft some proposals to get voted on at the annual meeting. There are plenty of examples of this like all the local organic certification standards that were hammered out by local farmers membership organizations back in the day (before they were naive enough to hand it over to the feds.)

Anyway, this all seems simple enough it is a wonder that it hasn't happened already....?

Is it because there is a lack of trust in democratic process and organization in Permaculture circles? Are the individualistic trends just too entrenched? (this is a serious question)

Personally, I tend to trust and follow a democratic process much more than i follow any doctrine handed down from above, and i suspect many other folks are like me.

While i would be likely to follow and support any guidelines agreed upon in an open democratic way, in an organization that i have input into, i am am pretty unlikely to care much about any "protocols" handed down from the self-appointed presidents of the various private permaculture institutes, notwithstanding their wisdom, experience, etc. (no offense meant here to anyone in particular, this is a statement about my own feelings about process, about community, and about the deeper needs of a healthy sustainable society- so again, it is not! an attack on any particular personalities)

As the NE region, that i am a part of, continues to grow and mature as a community, i am hoping this is something that we will consider seriously at some point, as we have some of the same needs regionally that might be well met by a regional membership organization like this.

peas,
Kevin Skvorak
Regeneration CSA
High Falls NY