permaculture - Re: [permaculture] After a Permaculture Design Course, then what?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L. Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] After a Permaculture Design Course, then what?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:27:40 -0700

Thanks Wes...

Yes, design course graduates can apply to come to work with us -we have apprenticeship programs (of sorts) throughout the year.

http://earthflow.com/volunteering.php

http://earthflow.com/designcourse_exp.php

We don't advertise much because we get lot's of inquirers already... but my feeling is that -additional opportunities for graduates to learn are already endless... there are countless places one can go -practically anywhere the world to gain experience -and in several "specialties" under the Permaculture umbrella. we list some on our website...

I run a design firm with irons in many many fires -Our diverse services and experiences stem from of course, the unlimited applications of Permaculture Design... but are largely due to the continued participation and involvement of our annual crops of (so called) students -(many of them, of course, are now the ones teaching me the new tricks!) http://earthflow.com/ataglance.php

My next comment is that, like in the UK, The Permaculture Institute (USA) is in the processes of addressing these issues and adopting "standards" as the Permaculture Research Institute (Australia) has. In due time, Scott Pittman, President of The Permaculture Institute-USA (oldest pc institute in america) will have more to say about designer AND teacher protocols.

Pretty much already well accepted in any Design discipline is that a person needs to get lots of experience before teaching or designing... Permaculture Design should be no exception.

Back to mentors...
I am working with the Institute (USA) pitching this idea... I have always thought that it is the responsibility of the original PDC teacher(s) of the person interested in continuing education -they should be the one(s) to help those student find and/or place them with an appropriate intern/mentor program -Then continue to monitor and assist their progress (like your AA sponsor would!) over the equivalent of two years full-time work. THEN when you think that you're ready -together, teacher and student, apply to the Permaculture Institute (USA) for a "designer" or "teacher" status of some sort.

We tell our students that (some) can continue to work with us, -or if they wish to find a mentor, and/or find a new place to work with (or go to someone that we recommend). We also highly encouraged students to go out and take more design courses -to learn the valuable perspectives from other teachers in other places of the world... -again, we have some recommendations on our website.

What do other teachers do and/or students think?

And now my biggest Questions...
How many students are there out there that have needed a "designer" certificate -and why?

Can-o-Worms...
Of course the issues are many -including that (just that much "mentor-ing") is a lot of work for the Institute and a lot of responsibility for the instructors (-especially an inexperienced instructor!) -and a huge commitment -that, in my experience, few students ever actually end up committing to. This conversation comes around and around every year or so and ends up being mostly moot -maybe will again this time -maybe not -?!?

Other thoughts?

Larry

L.Santoyo, Director
EarthFlow Design Works
<http://earthflow.com>http://earthflow.com

Hey -Please Join Us -Please Pass the Word!

The 5th Annual Los Angeles Permaculture Design Course
<http://earthflow.com/LAPDC0708.php>http://earthflow.com/LAPDC0708.php

Live & Learn Sustainable Design -in the South of France!
<http://earthflow.com/france2007.php>http://earthflow.com/france2007.php

hi jim
here a couple that I know of
wes

TRAINING FOR opportunties for "permaculture design trainee."

Penny Livingston of Regenerative Design Institute & Permaculture
Institute of Northern California PO Box 923 Bolinas, CA
94924 (415) 868
9681
<http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=154285359&u=1498852>www.regenerativedesign.org
offers a two year apprenticeship for a "certified permaculture
designer" (she has run the program I think for over 3 years and has
had one grad class )and other Teacher like Larry Santoyo
santoyo@earthflow.com (SLO County) has offered some training
for "permaculture design trainee' but I will him let explain more
he is on the listserve

Also check out Geoff Lawton Australai www.permaculture.org.au