permaculture - [permaculture] Keyline vs spring loaded shanks

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: msnow@valley.net (msnow)
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Keyline vs spring loaded shanks
  • Date: 16 Jul 2007 17:07:15 EDT

Darren and all,

I work with a livestock guy who wonders if the following is an alternative to
a keyline plow:

Krause "flex-wing" coulter chisel. I think it's a combination disc,
subsoiler and chisel. www.krauseco.com/p/4800_p.htm

Spring loaded shankes, curved, "iron guide and heat-treated steel bushing at
the top of the spring holder reduce wear and allow the shank to flex.
Greater point loading is available due to the nine-inch triop height."

spring reset chisel shanks...

"parabolic subsoiler shanks (1-1/4" x 36")... better shattering of the soil
profile is available between the subsoil shanks - up to 16 inches deep.
Combinations of chisel and subsoiler shanks work to break up deeply compacted
layers of soil and maintain the appropriate amount of residue to comply with
conservation plans.

That's question 1.
Question 2. I have 8-9 inches topsoil and 8 feet of clay below. Is a
keyline plow appropriate for deepening the topsoil layer into something more
usable than a table top for holding water?

Many thanks,

Mike Snow

  • [permaculture] Keyline vs spring loaded shanks, msnow, 07/16/2007