permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Where the political discussion goes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Riley <reuselumber@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Where the political discussion goes
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:12:45 -0700 (PDT)

I cast a NAY! to politics here.

The reasons I submit are below, if you care to delve.Go no further if you
don't.

Which chapter in the Designers Manual involves politics? Or, Perm 1 or Perm 2
or intro to Permaculture? I would like to read further on how it's included
in the Permaculture principles/design/ethics. Whose agenda will we be
discussing politically? Will it be a positive discussion with solutions or a
negative cathartic release for selected people? Why do folks periodically try
to redefine or 'improve' Permaculture to suit their needs?

There is already an issue with dominant personalities needing to be right
about every point of discussion. The thought of having to bear the rambling
dialogue of every member's backlog of political viewpoints...well, it makes
me think of every other (average) internet site. It also seems that the
discussions have gotten personally subjective on this list due to 'politics',
and further from the point of Permaculture design.

I recall Mr. Mollison turning to the concept of Permaculture to escape the
uselessness of the protesting masses that avoided doing anything real as they
got caught up in the whining of their own negative voices. [And that's a
vague paraphrase definitely.]

If politics becomes part of this list does Mr Lawrence need to re-subscribe
some former members: i.e.; Ken Benway. He was rather adamant about POLITICS
and PERMACULTURE and was black-listed. Perhaps because his passion lead to 75
emails over a two week period, flooding our in-boxes with his passion for
U.S. presidential contenders. (Turns out his website says he's a permaculture
designer, not a right- wing Monsanto employee.) By no means am I promoting
this person, just exemplifying the behaviour of the obsessed.

I believe it was the wisdom of Robert Waldrop who noted that "finding ways to
divide us does nothing to build community". I would add, the PERMACULTURE
WORLD COMMUNITY is a diverse perennial polyculture.

That being said.....I'm up for it (political discourse) being on this list.
If we only discuss Canadian, British and Australian politics...NOTHING to do
with American politics. Not to mention the politics of the good people in the
European Union, Africa, Asia, Middle East, former USSR, the Stans, Greenland,
Oceania, South/Central America, etc..or is this really a GLOBAL list? Or is
it the nationalist agenda to make US policy the World policy?

My dos centavos worth. I spent way too much time on this topic....arf.

Regards,
David