permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PERMACULTURE & RODENTS

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PERMACULTURE & RODENTS
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:11:50 -0400

Barn owls are possibly the best possible natural predator and barn owl homes
are easy to build or buy. There are many plans for building them that can be
downloaded from the Internet.

I attended an interesting lecture by a joint team of Israeli and Palestinian
scientists ( that was a story in itself), who had as an experiment set up
barn owl homes complete with video cameras.  They had video of the chicks
swallowing a whole vole like a snake. They were educating farmers in their
respectives countries on the benefits of the barn owls. They found that a
nesting pairs of barn owls were taking at least a thousand rodents a year for
themselves and their chicks.  I have seen other estimates that are higher.

I personally don't hestitate to humanely trap rats either. It was coming down
to the fact that I was growing fruit for the rats not for us.  Often some
critter makes a meal of the rat before I can even empty the trap. So I have
provided skunks, raccoons and other creatures with fresh rat steak.