permaculture - [permaculture] PERMACULTURE & RODENTS

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Laurence Gaffney" <lgaffney@bigpond.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] PERMACULTURE & RODENTS
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:41:36 +1000

As the Fruit & Nut Trees we have planted as part of the Implementation of a
Permaculture Design start to commence producing we are finding that Rodents
(mice/rats) have increased their numbers significantly.

Most of the Nuts ( particularly Macadamia & Pistachio) are taken by them
before we get to them. Most of the fruit they seem to like too though we
still get some.
Vegetables also (particularly Pumpkins) are on their menu too.

They seem to like making homes in mulch.
We have been told that we have a Snake deficiency; perhaps even an Eagle
deficiency also. (We do have both)
We do not have a cat and are not all that keen on getting one
.
The proportion of produce going to Rodents is currently probably about 50/50
but is trending rapidly in their favour.
It is a question of Balance I guess.

Any thoughts out their on:-
1. The role of Rodents in the Permaculture System.
2. Assessment of Ecological Balance.
3. Mitigation.

Laurence Gaffney
Coolish Temperate Australia