permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Urine-resistant plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Urine-resistant plants
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:38:24 -0700

At 1:24 AM -0400 6/21/07, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
Revised list:

daylillies
peppermint
daylillies
lambs quarters
amaranth
curly dock
comfrey
Jerusalem artichoke
horseradish
collards

I agree with the collards, but I doubt most of the perennials can get big enough soon enough, and I think it might be hard to find some of the weedier ones in the city -- unless you can ask your local freecyclers if you can dig up established plants.

Since the need is to cover up the soon-to-be-condemned crumbling foundation ASAP with greenery and to provide a substrate for inevitable urination this summer, I'd go with tomato, squash and collard plants. You can buy seedlings (from 6-packs to 1-gallon) in any local nursery now and, assuming your soil is adequate, have them reach a pretty good size within a month.

Whatever you plant, it won't be able to withstand a lot of abuse until the roots get going (at least a couple weeks or over a foot or so high), so you will have to coddle them in what sounds like a difficult situation at first.