permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lawn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lawn
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:04:54 -0700

Another translation...

If what we are taught and conditioned to think of as 'taking care of
your property' (AKA the land) is an abomination,
then what does that say about us,

Imagine someone has been "taking care of their property" by mowing, edging, applying soluble fertilizer and pesticides that contaminate the aquatic ecosystem, supporting a destructive economy, while creating an ecological desert and depleting their soil. Then someone comes along and tells them all hard work was actually destructive and an insult to our children, and that all they learned about how to 'take care' of lawn was misinformation or partial truths.

It's hard to swallow. For someone who wants to feel in control and competent, they would be strongly motivated to find a way to justify what they have been doing and find you to be a quack. So if you want to plant a seed of doubt that may lead to a change, then plant that seed deep, in a fertile spot.

Paul C.