permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Jean Pain/homestead gas revisited

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: CAVM@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Jean Pain/homestead gas revisited
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 21:02:32 EDT

We have our own design of a gasifier which is currently in two
configurations. One is to generate heat and can use a wide variety of solid
fuels. We have
gasified dry and green wood, sawdust, wood shavings, rice hulls, beef
manure, poultry litter, baled newspapers, magazines, our office trash, etc.
In its
current size it produces about 500,000 BTU per hour.

The other configuration is intended to operate an internal combustion engine
(ICE) and, therefore, requires not only dry fuel but also gas cleaning
systems to provide clean gas to the engine. We use it to produce 10KW of
electrical power but could just as easily produce 30KW. We use a 4cyl Isuzu
engine.

The basic design can be found online. We only added some sophistication.
So this can be done by you as well.

Neal in KY