permaculture - Re: [permaculture] weighing food -- measuring production

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: George Monacelli <bungo_bean@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] weighing food -- measuring production
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:49:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul,

If you really want to know what you are producing, get a KITCHEN SCALE and
then start a LOG BOOK. You can get a decent kitchen scale for 20 bucks, and a
really nice one for not much more. If you are like most home gardeners you
will be harvesting throughout the season (as opposed to one big harvest). So
make a column for each veggie or whathaveyou, then every time you pick some
you weigh and enter: Cucumber 2 lb, Tomato 3lb, etc.

At the end of the season for each crop you can total the column to find out
what your garden yielded. If you are using seed potatoes, tubers, etc, you
can weigh your seed, then weigh the final harvest to get a percent yielded. I
have always just guestimated, but I need to start a log this year as I've
started to sell some of what I grow.

If you are doing larger quantities you can go by bushels, which equal 8
gallons. As this is a measure of VOLUME as opposed to WEIGHT, you may want to
weigh one gallon of whatever you are producing to get a sample, then multiply
by 8 to find out how much a bushel of say, apples weighs.

Happy Harvesting (and Weighing!)
George Monacelli

lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:
I have filled up a basket with one type of produce and weighed the contents
of the basket. Then I simply have to count how many times I fill the basket
up with let's say cucumbers to come up with a reasonable estimate of the
pounds that have been produced for each type of produce. I particularly do
that with my fruit trees as weighing every time I harvest would be a hassle.
To roughly calculate the value, I multiply the pounds by the average farmer's
market price to see how much I have saved in dollars. Not exact, but useful
enough for my purposes.

Larry Saltzman