permaculture - Re: [permaculture] weighing food -- measuring production

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] weighing food -- measuring production
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:12:01 -0400

I have filled up a basket with one type of produce and weighed the contents
of the basket. Then I simply have to count how many times I fill the basket
up with let's say cucumbers to come up with a reasonable estimate of the
pounds that have been produced for each type of produce. I particularly do
that with my fruit trees as weighing every time I harvest would be a hassle.
To roughly calculate the value, I multiply the pounds by the average farmer's
market price to see how much I have saved in dollars. Not exact, but useful
enough for my purposes.

Larry Saltzman