permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Franken vs. lush bimbo etc.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Franken vs. lush bimbo etc.
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:33:11 -0500

John Fritz wrote:
From your comments below it seems you are aware of the lies that corporate media (such as Fox, Clear Channel etc)
are foisting upon a generally unsuspecting public. I think we can agree that
radio shows selling air time to advertisers
are going to have the repulsive aspects you mentioned (such as canned and
phony laughter etc) regardless of the content or
editorial bent of the show.

I have many friends who think a lot of Air America. You can download hours of archives of the show from Usenet. See, I am awake and paying attention. I had heard positive feedback about it so I located archives and gave it a listen. My hometown AM broadcast radio station carries it regularly.

>> I am not taking issue with you on this part of Air America.

I am taking issue with what appears
to be your unwillingness to acknowledge that there is a qualitative difference between the lush bimbos, Hannitys and O'Riellys,
on the one hand, and the Al Frankens, Randi Rhodes, and Amy Goodmans on the other hand. The former is invested in perpetrating
lies at the expense of their listeners, while the latter is commited to exposing those lies. Not to mention that the former are
almost entirely chicken hawks unwilling to fight the wars they want everyone
else to fight. As I said in the first

Not in the least! Never heard of Rhodes but I would listen to Franken and Goodman anytime and feel it was time well spent, especially Democracy Now. Again, I am awake and giving this my full attention, have for years. I have tuned in to Democracy Now for years. There is a very active progressive group, including the Progressive Democrats in my area and I am in touch with them regularly. Rush and GG Liddy often have useful things to say if you're broadminded and can ignore the other 60% of their shows. Liddy is off the air and I can't listen to Rush at all any more. Goodman gets high marks.

Problem I have is none of all the above ever mention permaculture, sustainable agriculture and small farming growing for local market. That's where I make my money and they never seem to offer any kind of feedback in their shows that would help the growing community of small, local, sustainable and family farmers. Farmland is being lost to housing and commercial development and global agribusiness is gaining greater control of the food supply and our society.
Activists and voters adhering to a radical extremist politically-correct
ultra-liberal agenda aren't helping anyone
and only serve to stregthen their standing amongst the cocktail-liberal wealthy political elite. They need to focus their attention on local community building, local farming, buying and eating locally-grown and promoting Permaculture principles and methods. This constitutes a good starting point for global environmental and human rights activism.

post, at least Franken has enough of a pair to actually go to Iraq, regulary, and support the morale of the troops there. I think Franken is probably one of the weakest for getting the truth out, though his satire does have its' value. If you want to know what the truth is listen to Amy Goodman and her Democracy Now show, or the Randi Rhodes segment of Air America.

Got it. I read you and will give them a listen again. Just surfed to DN.
Here's a header for a new story they are doing.

http://www.democracynow.org/
Chris Hedges on “American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On
America”
-
Chris Hedges's new book examines how Christian dominionists are seeking absolute power and a Christian state. According to Hedges, the movement bears a strong resemblance to the young fascist movements in Italy and Germany in the 1920s and '30s. Hedges is the former New York Times Middle East bureau chief and author of "War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning." [includes rush transcript]

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm