permaculture - Re: [permaculture] NGO?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Phil Vergamini <Phil@inetserv.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] NGO?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:05:54 -0700

At 12:16 AM -0500 2/6/07, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
J. Kolenovsky wrote:

Is that non-governmental organization (NGO)? I finally had to ask after
seeing it for the last 2 weeks. The closest I could get to this is 501 c
3.

Usually United Nations recognized (and possibly funded) Non Governmental Organizations.
There are NGO ssummits. One in the recent past in Brazil focused on the environment, global warming
and the Kyoto Protocol.

Is there a permaculture NGO? or anything like that?

How about the Permaculture Credit Union? (http://www.pcuonline.org) Would that be considered an NGO? We're a not-for-profit, 501c14 (a special category defined by the US-IRS for credit unions). We are a member owned co-operative and we recently signed up member number 1000. We were chartered by the State of New Mexico on May 18, 2000, after qualifying for insurance of $100,000 per account by the National Credit Union Administration. We have members all over the USA and in other countries around the world.

Our mission is as follows: "The Permaculture Credit Union pools the financial resources of people who believe in the ethics of Permaculture - care of the earth, care of people, and reinvestment of surplus for the betterment of both. We apply these resources to earth-friendly and socially responsible loans and investments."

Just wondering. Would the PCU be considered a permaculture NGO? Are you a member? If not, why not? Check out the web site or give a call.

-Phil

--

Phillip Vergamini, Supervisory Committee
Permaculture Credit Union

Phone: (505) 954-3479; Toll Free: (866) 954-3479
Fax: (505) 424-1624

Email: mailto:phil@pcuonline.org
WWW: http://www.pcuonline.org